Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Visiting King James

Wordle: King James Bible
Found here
The other day I too visited the exhibit on the King James Bible in the Harold B. Lee Library on the beautiful campus of Brigham Young University. But rather that post solely my impressions of the exhibit, I want to share what my classmates have said. Below the break is a list of the classmate's name and a couple of words about what they said. For the picture at right I took the phrases my classmates used and put them in a Wordle. (I would take 2 min and explore wordles, they are the word pictures you never knew you needed for your next blog post.)

Jared Wilden - progression of errors
Wordle: King James Bible 2
Here's another.
Alex Burton - legitimacy issues
Alyssa Cardon - from written to print
Diane Cardon - preservation of books
Murphy Cambell - timeline
Kacee Hill - history of the bible
Cathrine Hawkley - differences of editions
Misa Morreal - influence of the bible
Alicia Cutler - consistency and influence of the bible
William Myers - authority of the bible
Dane Olsen - influence of the bible
Dane Olsen - history of the bible
Rachel Olsen - variations in the bible
Montana - variations and differences in the bible
Tanner - translation, fonts, power, influence of the bible
Shuan - history of the bible
Samual Watson - versions, control of the bible
Scott Welling - format, artwork of the bible
Marc Wein - history, influnence, and translation of the bible

First off you should know that I do not fall into the camp of those that enjoyed the exhibit. (That's part of the reason I listed everyone else who did, which is everyone else I know that went.) Here's why: for me books are important for one thing, and one thing only teaching you the secrets and knowledge contained with in their depths. Thus all of this frilly nonsense with illuminated letters and pictures is a strange thing to put on exhibit, if you ask me. Along with that I'm not one of those that believes in preserving books in their original format and not allowing others to either handle them, or read them as they are written in their entirety. So all the glass cases of books...

Other than that I really enjoyed the interactive portion (I got to touch the screen) and getting the chance to observe different versions side by side. (Although side by side by side by...by side would've made my day better.) The interaction between our knowledge preservation systems, knowledge mediums, the people that consume them, and the people that create them never cease to amaze me.

The world is constantly progressing, isn't it amazing?

P.S. If you are lucky I'll post some pics of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment