Friday, December 2, 2011

A Paper on Censorship (part 1)

Yesterday our instructors announced a paper as our final unit project for this unit.  Madison did a good job of capturing nearly everyone's reactions in the beginning of her post yesterday. So now that it has settled in that I am actually going to be writing a formal paper for this class, I asked myself, "Self what are you going to write about in this paper?". Myself then answered, "Something about censorship". And that's about as far as I've gotten. Now I need your help!


People of the internet I am asking for ideas/sides to argue in a paper themed on censorship. There is the obvious how much should we allow censorship/freedom of speech topic, but I am looking for something that has more to do with what I've already researched. (The books I've read in research can be found in my bibliography.) Probably it will focus more on how effective censorship was in the early days of printing, focused  in England. Look for updates and send thoughts my way!


Thanks!
Erin


P.S. This paper is also supposed to address one of the learning outcomes for this course.  And I'm thinking it will be number 3: COMMUNICATING KNOWLEDGE
Students recognize differences in the forms through which knowledge is preserved, communicated, and experienced and can interpret the consequences of these differences historically and personally.

(updated 2/12/11 11:30am with learning outcome)

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... That's a still an easier topic than bookbinding! Maybe the censorship or editing process that the Bible went through when it was first widespread..? That'd be a interesting and fun paper to write. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about how nearly impossible censorship has become due to modern technology. It used to be possible to find someone with a certain book and then burn the book - and maybe even them too. But, with the internet, and the big increase in world population, how to you stop the spread of knowledge? Tight control of the internet is being tried in some countries but is difficult, if not impossible to totally enforce --- consider the role twitter played in the recent mideast upheavals.....fascinating topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps something about how censorship was affected by types of technologies, both modern and historical, like the printing press.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Those are all fascinating ideas! I ended up with something along the lines of the impossibility of censorship in 16th and 17th centuries England. Read more here.

    ReplyDelete