Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cars: The Movie is the Only Good Thing About Them



I hate driving. I hate it. I hate how there's other people on the road who get mad at me. I hate the feeling of the pedals under my foot and the steering wheel in my hand. I hate having to pay attention. I just hate having to deal with cars. So, I decided to learn how to change a tire.


I know what you're thinking. Wait, what? You just said you hate cars... Why do you want to learn how to take care of them? Why not just let them suffer in their oil-less, tire-less misery?

Well, I'll tell you.

Brian Tracy, a self-help author, said "Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new." As the point of this class is to learn and grow, I figure it's a good idea to get out of my comfort zone.

So I called the home teachers.
"Hello?"
"Uh, hey. Do you have a car?"
"...Yeah? Why?"
"Can I change your tire?"

After explaining my assignment, they agreed. I first learned how to check the oil.
1. Possibly the most important step, open the hood.
2. Realize that the car is still running.
3. Close hood; turn car off.
4. Open hood again.
5. Find the oil tank and take off the lid.
6. Stick the... little stick thing (I'm not an expert.) into the tank and then pull it out.
7. See if there's enough oil on the stick (I'm not sure how much that is... But apparently this car had enough.)
8. Wipe off the stick, put it back, and close the hood.

Well that wasn't too bad! Now what?
Oh...
So, changing a tire is possibly the most difficult thing ever. First you have to jack up the car. Then unscrew the tire with some giant metal X. Then it falls off, and you have to lift another one up, tighten it half way, lower the car, and then finish tightening it.

I still hate cars and driving, but I have gained a greater appreciation for car lovers. They must put a lot of hard work and love into taking care of such a high-maintenance item. It seems like they fall apart all the time. I guess it's good that I learned how to take care of a couple of the many problems cars can have. But, even though changing a tire is probably a good skill to have, I'd much rather call AAA.

1 comment:

  1. A good learning activity, though I would like to have seen you be a bit more reflective about this type of learning. Be careful with titles; they matter. The Brian Tracy quote was good. Can you give a reference to the book?

    ReplyDelete