Saturday, September 17, 2011

FYI: Evernote

In a comment responding to this post. Dr. B asked if I would share about sharing Evernote folders. First, I need to answer the question running through your mind right now, "What, in the name of Sam Houston, is Evernote?"
Screenshot of the Evernote site.

Evernote a great website that lets you take and store notes in the cloud so you can access them anywhere, anytime. (Provided you have access to the internet, or they are on you computer)

I especially enjoy it for this class because of the variety of actions I can use to manipulate the notes I take.




Here I've compiled a list of some of them:

  • Access the notes on any computer with internet access.
  • Manipulate the text like any Word/Office document.
  • Tag and search notes to find an idea faster.
  • Store the notes off my computer.
  • "Clip" or store entire webpages as notes. 
  • Share them with anyone I want. 
I'll make this last point the subject of my post. However, if you'd like to learn about any of the other features you can sign on to Evernote yourself, or look at this post from a while ago.
Here's a screenshot on how to share your note.


Just a couple friendly words of advice. Make sure you really want everyone to see what you've said. (I THINK you can "unshare" a note but that is not guarantee on the internet.) But on the whole sharing your thoughts has benefits, even if they don't come across as polished as Grandma's silver. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Erin. Evernote is also a great research tool. You can take a snapshot of a text, save it to Evernote, and it becomes searchable within minutes. Very handy.

    I wonder if a shared notebook would be an interesting way to communicate among your group members?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually in looking into the idea of communicating with groups of people I found out that Evernote is pretty poor for communication. Their first problem is that you can only share single notes at one time. The second problem is that there is no way to edit or add to the notes once shared. For communicating with large documents I still recommend Google Docs.

    ReplyDelete