Monday, November 28, 2011

Print and Religion

As I started to look for books that had to do with the topic of the Protestant reformation, I found many printed resources about the change of religion in general so that is what I decided to focus my research on. My plan was to first check out the library to see what it had to offer. Once I had found the section where print was discussed, I discovered that there were A LOT of books. I picked up a few because their titles described what I was in search of, and a few I chose just because the covers were so old that I had to read it! Reading these books, I am a little sad that I just have to give a brief overview of them. I would have liked to quote some of the books because a few of the authors had personality oozing out of their writing! Especially Amy Cruse. Her style of writing was informative, yet entertaining.


The following is my Bibliography I hope you enjoy:
(Note: links may only work while on university computers)

Cruse, Amy. The Shaping of English Literature, New York, Cromwell Company. Print. Cruse looks at the literature of England from the time of the Saxon's up to the 1660's. Great overview that includes literature in many forms (theater, religion...) Shows pictures and quotes printed/written books from the time period.  Gives background information.

Day, Martin. History of English Literature to 1660. New York, Doubleday & Company Inc., 1963. Print. Very to the point. Went from year to year listing major events and the literature from those events. He tied in literature to each other and drew conclusions. Helpful, but read like a textbook. Background information was very helpful and listed more facts than Cruse did. Summarized popular books written in the years given.

 Edwards, Mark J.  Printing, propaganda and Martin Luther. Berkeley, 1994. Recommended by Pettegree to introduce literature printed in the time of the Protestant Reformation. It showed the impact that printing had in furthering the cause of Martin Luther. A lot of information, but interesting. 

Marshall, Peter. The Reformation of Hell? Protestant and Catholic Infernalisms in England, c. 1560–1640. 

The Journal of Ecclesiastical History 2010. 

Using printed text from the time of the Reformation, this article describes the differences of the Protestant and Catholic church in terms of their definitions of hell. If the title didn't hook you, the information will. Interesting to see such a focused topic being discussed.

Pettegree, Andrew. The Reformation and the Book: A Reconsideration. Cambridge Journal. Print. Very interesting! First took a look at the Reformation in Germany and how the printing press was controlled by the rising religion. Next looked at correlations between Germany and other countries printing systems. Questions whether there is a natural affinity between the Protestant Reformation and print. [Led me to many sources!]

Ward, A.W. The Cambridge History of English Literature. Cambridge, University Press. 1933. Print. Fantastic footnotes! Mostly a history about printed drama literature and poetry, with two chapters thrown in to review what the Church though about the theater. [The footnotes led me to many books, but they were mostly about poetry and drama as well so I have not put them in this bibliography]


All in all, I rather enjoyed my reading experience! It was fun to note the different styles that the authors used and the different emphasizes that they put on the Reformation. I highly recommend choosing a topic and researching it. It can be fun! Plus it doesn't have to take several months (like a chemistry paper would)  this can be as long or short as you make it. It'll probably go on longer that you originally intended...

4 comments:

  1. I love your idea of getting lost in the research. I loved looking at the books in the library. Thanks for compiling this- a lot of these look very interesting. I may have to go check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get lost in your research topic? I did! I think part of the key here is choosing your topic. I'm glad we were given the opportunity to choose the topic. Do you think we would have had the same experience if we used our usual online resources more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not. Usually when I'm online, it's because I want to get things done as fast as possible so I don't really browse that much. Get in and get out. With the library, though, I allowed myself a lot of time to browse and look things up. At first I thought it would be pretty boring and hard, but once you're in the right section, there's tons of books to read! I love our library :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting. I had to write a couple of chemistry papers a couple years ago, and in that case most of the journals I found were all online, but I really enjoyed "browsing" through those. It involved a lot of slightly changing search parameters, but I actually found some articles I thought were interesting. So I think that for the most part browsing can be a part of research both online and off.

    ReplyDelete