Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Where in the world?

Today as I looked around the Reinventing Knowledge class blog, and read Dr. B's great post on self-directed learning, I came to wonder what my good friend Shuan is getting from our class. (This arranged seating puts her outside of my in-class whispering range.) So I went and looked up her most recent post, found here.  Shuan did a great job on the post, but I liked best what Jake had to say about the Silk Road and the internet. Therefore below I'm going to share how to find who is looking at your posts/blog and where in the world are they from. (Because this is generally awesome!) I may also share some thoughts about the Silk road and the internet. (But you'll have to read it to find out!)

So first off, how to find out about the people that read your blog, but don't comment on all the great ideas you've just shared!

The important button you are looking for on blogger is the "stats" button. On your home page, found here when signed in, you can look at all of your blogs, recent posts from blogs you follow, and other niffty features. I outlined the stats button in blue in both the new and old interface. (I don't know which you are using!)

Once you click this button you can see a general overview, stats on individual posts, traffic sources, and audience. Go ahead, look around a little, it'll be fun! But my favorite part is coming up!

Click on the audience link, and then choose a date range (day, week, month, all time) and watch the little map light up in green as you see how many people from around the world are at least mildly interested in what you have to say! Currently this blog seems to have a small following in Russia and Taiwan. Thanks guys! We'd love to here from you some time!

I said it would be cool didn't I?

Back to what Shaun and Jake had to say about  the Silk Road and the internet...

Obviously the Silk Road got it's name from its most popular commodity, silk and other goods, however I'd argue that it's most important commodity was the ideas, people, cultures, and languages that flowed across the Continent along the Silk road. Today's internet also allows people across the world to trade in goods and services but more importantly it allows us to trade in ideas, cultures, and languages.

One of the motifs I explore in my blog Call me...Erin, is the idea of open. Open everything, from open sourced software to open government, and just generally not being afraid to share our ideas.  I love the idea of freely sharing all that we have. No I don't mean physical stuff I mean everything that lasts, ideas and culture.

This is why I love the internet, and blogging, best way to learn about the ideas that matter, and those that don't. Happy Sharing!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's really cool. Thanks for sharing that, Erin. It's interesting to think of the internet as a means to share our culture with those in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! The internet is really a neat place when you take the time to use it for knowledge! Be sure and check out Shuan's article on this as well!

    ReplyDelete