Friday, October 28, 2011

Developing Knowledge Skillz

According to the Learning Outcomes for this class I should learn new knowledge skills. Therefore this will just be a short post while I go off and develop some. This weekend I am going with BYU's GEO club to Blanding Utah to work on some engineering projects for people of the Navajo Nation. In that time I will take advantage of several opportunities to develop some of my knowledge skill.

  • I will take the opportunity to work on my working-as-a-group skills. All engineers know that these are important, and most of us wish we could take our tests in groups, because guaranteed SOMEONE knows the answer. Believe me under the masks of supreme intelligence (aka nerdiness) we really are mostly social creatures!
  • I will take opportunities to work on my learning-folk-knowledge skills. The professional engineers from EWB (Engineers Without Borders) will be teaching us knowledge and skills through lots of hands on learning. No longer will I have a notebook and pen to take notes on, but will have to remember all that I learn with my hands and my head! I can still remember everything I learned about cement from last year! (Yes, I did just get excited about cement!)
  • I will take the opportunity to develop a mentoring relationship with the a local high school's (San Juan High) advanced engineering class. This will involve developing my folk/oral-knowledge-teaching skills. 
There will be more on how well I met my above goals after I get back from the weekend! Thanks for learning with me. 



4 comments:

  1. Tell us how it went! Cold?
    Also, it made me think of how I can apply this class to my other classes more. Thank you for reminding me! I have definitely found throughout this class that I can't do it alone and I need my group to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome, I hope you have fun! I agree with Emily; it's much easier when you know you can rely on your group. Thanks for helping me learn, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing how this went.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's how it went! Glad we can all see a broader application.

    ReplyDelete